Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Catullus and Pop Culture

Every year I read a selection of Catullus' poetry with my year 10 class(es), and as part of their assessment I get them to do a presentation comparing one of Catullus poems to a film or song (or anything of their choosing really), to show how the themes and emotions of his poetry are expressed these days.

Here are some of the comparisons they made this year:

Catullus 3 is like Mufasa and Simba from The Lion King

Catullus 5 is like Don’t Matter, by Akon

Catullus 8 is like Gives You Hell, by All American Rejects and  Accustomed to her Face from My Fair Lady

Catullus 51 is like Edward from Big Fish and Lancelot from First Knight

Catullus 70 is like Hayley and Dillon from Modern Family, White Noise by the Living End and Your Love is a Lie, by Simple Plan

Catullus 72 is like Not Me, Not I, by Delta Goodrem and Gives You Hell, by All American Rejects

Catullus 85 is like Cher from Clueless7 Things by Miley Cyrus, Hate that I Love You by Rihanna and Love the Way You Lie by Eminem (featuring Rihanna, poor woman)

Catullus 86 is like Beauty in Ugly, by Jason Mraz, Nothin’ on You by B.o.B. and Stay Beautiful by Taylor Swift

Catullus 92 is like Cher and Josh from Clueless and Kevin and Jane from 27 Dresses

Obviously some of the comparisons work better than others. I've added a poll on the right of the ones I thought worked best that you can vote for over the next couple of weeks. If you think one of the comparisons that hasn't made it to the poll worked better, leave me a comment.

3 comments:

Sophia said...

I am so surprised that you know what these songs/movies are. Or did you Google ...

Anonymous said...

i'd never heard of most of them before. and i didn't like most of them either. Taylor Swift?!?! Miley Cyrus?!?! no thanks. give me ben harper any day...

Sophia said...

So you did Google. Okay, you can bag Miley Cyrus but Taylor Swift is awesome. And ... yes ... Ben Harper ... no comment there. I was actually kind of scared that you listened to these people ... weird.